Here are some things to keep in mind as you and your child prepare for camp...
• You might discuss the sorts of things you and your camper will write about to each other during the summer.
• Make a letter writing packet that includes pre-addressed stamped envelopes, paper, pen, etc.
• Discuss and help your child list a set of personal goals for their camp experience.
• Choose family photos to send to camp.
• Plan a diary to record camp experiences that can be shared after the summer.
• Include the family as a supportive part of an independent camp experience.
• Please do not make any "private deals" such as "Just call me if you are unhappy and you can come home." Accent the positive instead, and let your child know that counselors and camp directors will be there to help. We have found that most campers make the best of their summer experience only when parents fully support their efforts to adjust to being independent and spending a week away from home.
Camp Roanoke is located just off Interstate 81 in western Roanoke County. If you are coming from Roanoke, we are approximately 20 minutes from the intersection of I-81 and I-581. Please print out the Directions to Camp Roanoke for your use.
Listed below are several businesses offering accommodations relatively close to Camp Roanoke. Other possibilities exist further into Roanoke and can be found at www.visitroanokeva.com.
I-81, Exit 137. 1671 Skyview Rd., Salem, VA 24153. 540/389-7061, 800/HOLIDAY.
I-81, exit 141. 179 Sheraton Drive, Salem, VA 24153. 540/562-1912.
I-81, exit 137 to 151 Wildwood Rd., Salem, VA 24153. 540/387-1600.
I-81, Exit 137. 301 Wildwood Road, Salem, VA 24153. 540/389-0280.
I-81, Exit 137. 300 Wildwood Rd., Salem, VA 24153. 540/389-0297, 800/800-8000
We have found that it is often difficult for some kids to make the adjustment to camp life if they are in contact with home. If you do need to make contact with your child, choose from one of the following options:
Staff is certified to properly administer medications and provide limited medical services. All medications (prescription / over the counter) need to be packaged and labeled in the following manner:
A suggested clothing and equipment list is included within the Registration Packet for each camp session. See the link at the bottom of the page for Registration Packets and Packing Lists. Please label all of your child's personal items.
and other important information can be found on our Registration and Forms page. Registration packets contain forms for camper information, permission forms, and important health forms. All forms from the registration packet must be returned before your child can attend camp.
, please call either Camp Roanoke at 540-387-6114 or Roanoke County Parks, Recreation & Tourism at 540-387-6078.
Important! Be certain to review the packing lists included in the registration packets